Tuesday, December 29, 2009

(photography) 20091229-01 While out location scouting...




While out location scouting, popped in to the local fish market for a spot of lunch and decided to try out some borrowed Nikon gear, namely a D2x and a 12-24mm f/4.0 DX lens.
I used the 12-24mm lens for all these pictures, and I must say that it is an impressive lens.
Now I'm no lens testing boffin but this lens floored me! Its as sharp as any lens I've ever used, although I just wish it was faster than f4.0, but that is the compromise you pay I suppose.


...All the prawns neatly aligned...

This is a bit of before and after...sandcrabs on sale (cooked on the right, uncooked on the left)

Mr C. Gull awaiting a tasty morsel, the level of detail in the pic was ... fabo!

Its a pelican =)

Err its a bird -- and Egyptian Ibis I believe, so its not an unidentified flying...anyThing...

...Buuut it certainly made the punters gaze up in wonder.

After lunch (and $18 in parking...grrr) it was off to a new planet =) but thats another story.
---------
Now for a long time I've been a bit skeptical about the "crop" cameras (Nikon 1.5x, Canon 1.6x and 1.3x), squinting into an even smaller rectangle than before (I still love my Blad, and would love to get back into large format work, but alas I digress...
This lens has me rethinking the format's usefulness to me, the format can certainly give a little extra reach at the long lens side of things. But I will forever have a preference for a full frame camera. (Imagine going into a cinema when all you've ever experienced is a portable TV and you get the idea)
But after using this lens I am thinking maybe just maybe the DX, in the form of a D300s, might be worth considering, if only while I wait for a D700 with video.
Please note I am not overly interested in the "pro-body" line... big and bulky...these "two-part cameras mean that when you want to go low key, leave the booster in the bag and go light and slightly less conspicuous.
And yes as a current Canon owner there IS the 5Dmk2 with its bigger chip etc etc... But really there is just something about Nikon I love, after all you never forget your first love do you?


No comments:

Post a Comment