Monday, December 28, 2009

(photography) 20091228-02 Scanning and other photo related stuff

J - I've started searching out a useful flatbed scanner. I have a nice old Hasselblad 500CM gathering dust due to this digital world (and a lack of a darkroom), but love using it and I've figured its about time to start searching for a scanner for it.
So far I am thinking of a CanoScan CS8800F, which by the reviews I've read offers a good value for money versus quality balance. Now to price it...Any suggestions?
On other gear front, seems we're all destined to go down the multimedia road (read video). I've  been looking through Dan Chung's site which seems to be a good information stream. Now here's my dilemma much of my gear (Canon) is getting long in the tooth and need of replacing, so am thinking Nikon or Canon?

Now I am no expert on all this but there seems to be advantages to both (on the video front) Canon offering  1080p and Nikon 720p, but in the real world what does this mean? I think this will be the subject of future entries.
Currently I am leaning towards changing to a Nikon system, but until they bring out a full frame camera the size of the D700, I am looking at starting out with the D300s due to its higher (still) frame rate, lower cost -- after all lenses to be bought!
Why Nikon? Well I started out with Nikon, and only changed when they lagged behind on the autofocus front. And to be honest I was never overly thrilled with Canon, they offered great service in Japan when I was living there, but after departing that all dropped off. Since returning to Australia Nikon have been a great help and well frankly am looking to return to my roots!
Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment